Mo-Drash

Welcome to Mo-Drash ... the weird confluence of the Jewish tradition of Midrash and me!

What is Midrash? Literally, the word derives from the Hebrew root that expresses interpretation. Figuratively, it is the process by which Jews read between the lines of our sacred stories and seek insight from what we discover from each story, verse, word, letter and stroke of the pen.

Who am I? My name is Adam Morris, but known by many as Rabbi Mo. I spend a lot of my time serving in the role of rabbi, but I am also a husband, a dad, a runner and a 'weekend' craftsman (among other things). I try to move like Abraham to find my Place ... to wrestle like Jacob to know my Place ... and to snicker like Sarah to keep me in my Place.

B'makom she-ani omayd (from The Place where I stand),
Rabbi Mo

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Tunnel Time - Day #22

A funny thing happened at the end of my son's soccer game. The teams had done their post-game, good sportsmanship high five to one another and then the team began chanting in unison. I could not make out what they were chanting, it didn't seem to be something derisively directed at the other team or even something promoting their own efforts. It sound to me like "Tunnel!". My wife confirmed that "tunnel" was exactly what I had heard. Before I could even ask the next and obvious question, I saw other parents lining up in two lines that faced one another, raising their hands above their heads and clasping hands with the person facing them in the other line. And there it was - the tunnel. The boys from both teams proudly and energetically raced through the tunnel - wholly satisfied with this closing ritual for a game well played.

I flashed back to a different kind of human tunnel. This one consisted of teachers. They were the faculty of my high school. It was tradition that on graduation day the faculty would form a human tunnel - sans the clasping of hands across two lines - through which the graduating class would enter into the auditorium. They, instead, used their unclasped hands to clap as each and everyone of us made our way to the graduation ceremony. I remember being surprised and quite moved by this ritual. Our teachers seemed to be a forgotten part of the graduation hoopla. We were all focused on the way our lives were going to change - the colleges we would attend; the new experiences ahead of us; the way that this upcoming chapter of our lives would affect us and our families. The faculty standing there and applauding us meant many things - one them being a reminder of as caught up as we might have been in each of our own individual moment, that there was more than just an 'I' that was part of reaching and celebrating that moment.

I think about the I-ness and the WE-ness of the process of Teshuvah. There is a great deal of focus on our own personal reflection and growth. It is about the work that each of us an individuals has to do; about each of our own returning to The Source and seeking forgiveness from that Source and from those we love. However, the liturgy that guides through such a confessional on Yom Kippur is not an I liturgy, it is a WE liturgy. (i.e. It is written in the first person plural not the first person singular).

Why? I do not think it is because you may be responsible for my sins or vice versa. I think it has to do with the reason that my son and his teammates wanted to run through the parent and coaches' tunnel at the end of the game. I think it has to do with the reason that walking through the tunnel of my faculty still resonates so strongly with me twenty-six years later. We find an affirmation, an energy and an inspiration from being reminded that we all have a WE of which to be a part - whether these reminders occur in moments of celebration or in those moments when we may be reminded of our limitations and failings.

Even if you are a introvert (guilty), even if you are independent to the point of stubbornness (guilty) and even if the formality of communal prayer may not be always be the most conducive mode of inwardness (guilty) ... there some affirmation, energy and inspiration to be mined by being part of a WE. Elul signifies that this particular tunnel is beginning to take shape.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, while I enjoy community prayer, as an "introvert" I often resist the social aspect. If I had my way, I'd come on Friday night after the Sabbath bride is greeted, and you make us all greet each other. Still, I do like that people all seem to know me by name, even though I sometimes can't return the compliment. Like Norm at Cheers, it's nice to be known and feel like a recognized part of the group.

    I also think there is an aspect of Yom Kippur where we are asking God to forgive us as a community and a people, and are asking him to renew the his covenant with all Jews, despite the fact that we are flawed and have broken that covenant, as a group. As a group, I sometimes wonder if we participate enough, in terms of program attendance, as well as paying dues, heading committees, etc. I also wonder what Moses would do if he saw some of the decisions made by the Israelis government and people, if he would metaphorically throw down his tablets in dispair and anger.

    Actually, given the kind of justice the Nation of Israel handed out in those days, he'd probably
    love us! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of being part of WE brings to mind our government. Government, and government employees, can get such a bad rap these days. I think a tunnel of teachers, librarians, judges, air traffic controllers, Mint employees, topo map makers, park rangers, scientists, college students on federal aid, business owners with government aid or grants, law inforcement officials, members of the Armed Services, construction workers for our roads and infrastructure, etc. would help us remember the important things our local and national governments do for us every day.

    ReplyDelete